Arrived at Brunei Safe and Sound

Well here I am, at a funky little internet cafe in Brunei airport with a 10 hour wait until my transfer to Sydney.

I waved a sad goodbye to my dad and brother at 6.30am Friday morning. I’m so glad my Bro made the effort to come and see me off, early mornings aren’t exactly his strong point, nevermind 4am. I know I will still be able to have long chats with my dad whilst I’m away, especially if he makes use of the webcam I gave him and gets Messengering and Skyping! My brother, however, has never been one for long deep and meaningfuls or simple chatting on the phone at all now I come to think about it, so I think it will be a lot harder to keep in good contact with him. When we normally spend time together we tend to do stuff or just chill out in each others company. Hopefully we will find a way around it, though it’s not going to stop me missing him very much.

The first flight from Heathrow was delayed an hour and I discovered why my first leg was so long, at 16 hours; I didn’t realise we were flying to Brunei via Dubai. The first half went ok and we didn’t have to get off at Dubai in the end due to the fact we were and hour behind schedule and the captain wanted to save some time.

I have never been on a long haul flight before and I can tell you I am really impressed with the airline. Although I went economy class all the seats have their own little TVs where you can watch any of the list of films they have, you can watch TV shows, documentaries etc, they even have a massive stock of music as well. And the other cool thing I like is the mini map mode where you can track the progress of your flight and it tells you how long you have left etc. I guess this is pretty normal for people who fly long haul regularly but as it’s my first time I’m very impressed.

For those of you that like to consume alcohol whilst flying I should warn you that Royal Brunei Airline operates a no alcohol policy, presumably because the native people are all strict Muslims. This wasn’t a problem for me though as although I dabble a little with vodka now and again I am basically still a T-total most of the time.

For the first bit of the flight I watched two films – No Reservations and Dead Poet’s Society. Then I decided it was a good idea to give my eyes a rest for the last 8 hours as I had had my contact lenses in for about 36 hours. I didn’t manage to sleep much but kept my eyes closed and dosed on and off whilst listening to music. The food on the plain was very nice and the service most excellent.

Now I am at Brunei which is a really nice airport in the north of Borneo island. The transit area is very smart and surprisingly quiet. There are plenty of comfy seats and once I’ve finished this I think I may go and have a little read and proper rest for a while. The first time I used the toilet I had a shock as there was no seat – just a hole in the ground and no grab handle either! However, after I’d found a half successful method I then discovered there was a disabled toilet with normal seat in place so I will use this in future. I’m sure the native people manage the holes quite competently but I’m a British wimp!

There are also some shower facilities downstairs which I will take the opportunity of using about 2 hours before I board so I feel nice and fresh for the last leg. I want to arrive at Sydney looking as presentable as possible when I finally get to see Mat for the first time in 10 weeks. If I get there stinking and looking like I’ve been pulled through a hedge backwards he may just decide to make me use my return ticket after all lol 🙂

I am so excited right now I can hardly contain myself. I really can’t believe that in 18 hours time I will be seeing the love of my life for real, in the flesh. I could go on but I’m sure you can all use your imaginations as to the rest of my thoughts regarding that!

For now I am going to have a few more minutes online to chat to my friend Chris of on messenger. Oops, I have just realised I’ve been online an hour already – oh well, at 3 GBP and hour I can’t complain.

I will be back to let you know I have arrived in Sydney safely, though I’m not sure how prompt this will be as Mat and I have a lot of catching up to do 😉

This entry was posted in Personal. Bookmark the permalink.