First Day Back At Work In 2009

Firstly, HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone. I hope everyone’s christmas holidays were as good as mine.

I will have to go through the few photos I took over the holiday period and post them later. We didn’t go away in the end (we were going to go on another Suzuki camping trip to Bendethra), deciding we would prefer to relax and enjoy our new home whilst unpacking and tidying some more.

Nick and Kat went away the day after boxing day and Kat only came back on Saturday (Nick stayed on a bit longer) so we had the place to ourselves for a week. We spent a lot of time lazing around, swimming at the various beaches in our area and partying. Although I didn’t do a lot of things I had planned like painting, emailing friends, blogging etc, I am letting myself off the hook because life is too short to keep beating myself up over not doing things I think I should have done. The main aim is to enjoy life and I did, so it’s all good.

One thing I really enjoyed discovering over the holidays was the rock baths at Avalon Beach. They are two swimming pools (one baby and one adult) built into the rocks at the south end of the beach that naturally fill with the tide. Most beaches have them but for some reason I have never bothered to swim in them before, in fact considering we live by some of the best beaches in the Sydney area (some would argue the best in Australia but I think they are just biased) neither of us have been swimming very much at all in the last year.

Anyway, these rock baths are fantastic because you are effectively still swimming in the sea but do not get half drowned by the huge waves or have to worry about rips etc. You still get the wonderful ocean view and every now and then a big wave will crash over the side of the pool, creating a nice spray and ensuring the water is kept moving. I should have taken some pictures of it and will see what I can do about that tomorrow.

As today was my first day back at work I decided I would start as I mean to go on and go for a swim before work. It was a beautiful morning and having got up at 6am I had plenty of time to potter about and then go to the beach at 7.15am. It was so refreshing when I got in the water and I did about six to eight lengths (I lost count) before deciding I better head off to work. There was a clean water shower that I used to get rid of all the salt before changing into my work clothes in the changing room and then driving straight to work.

I’m very glad I made the effort to go for a swim as when I got to work I felt really good, unlike a few people who were not happy to be back after enjoying the holiday so much.

This entry was posted in Personal. Bookmark the permalink.